If you are planning a research study in British Columbia during the COVID-19 pandemic and need human ethics approval, please refer to the guidelines from institutions below including the requirements necessary for resumption of research.
Additionally, there are other guidance documents listed below that may help you with your research study, including information on the Rapid Review process for clinical research studies for COVID-19.
We are available to help you with navigating the research ethics process for any multi-jurisdictional or provincial studies, so please do not hesitate to contact us.
First Nations Health Authority
- Culturally Safe and Trauma-Informed Practices for Researchers during COVID-19 (PDF) October 27, 2020
- Institutional Application to Conduct Research During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- FAQs for the Fraser Health Research Community During the COVID-19 Pandemic Phase 3 December 1 2020
- Patient-Oriented Research During COVID-19 for Researchers
- FAQs for the Fraser Health Research Community During the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF) Updated on March 31, 2020
- Interior Health Memo: Resumption of Non-COVID Research (PDF) Updated May 21 2020
- Interior Health Research: COVID-19 and Research with Human Participants (PDF)
- COVID-19 and Research Ethics & Compliance
- Island Health – Resumption & Initiation of non-COVID-19 Research June 2, 2020
- Island Health – COVID 19 Clinical Research – Notice of Intent (PDF) Updated April 27, 2020
- Island Health’s COVID-19 Notice: Clinical Trials and Health Research Operations (PDF)
Simon Fraser University
- SFU Research Recovery – Human Participants Research Guidelines July 27, 2020
- SFU’s research guidance during COVID-19 outbreak (PDF) Updated on March 21, 2020
- Notice of COVID-Related Risks during Research July 31, 2020
- UBC Behavioural Guidance during the COVID-19 Research Restrictions Effective June 29, 2020
- UBC CREB Guidance during COVID-19 – Resumption of Research Updated June 19 2020
- UBC – COVID-19 Curtailing research activities on UBC campuses
- UBC Clinical REB: REB Review During Publicly Declared Emergencies (PDF)
University of Victoria
- UVic Guidance for the Resumption of In-person Research with Human Participants Under COVID-19 Restrictions July 16, 2020
- UVic Update from Vice President, Research Updated May 13 2020
Vancouver Coastal Health
- Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute: Memo on Resumption of Research (PDF) June 11, 2020
- Advisory on Clinical Trials & Clinical Research Operations at Vancouver Coastal Health & Providence Health Care (PDF)
Other Resources & Guidelines
The following resources for research involving human participants in the context of COVID-19 may be of interest:
- Guidance Notes and Regulatory Requirements for Informed Consent in Research During a Pandemic: COVID-19 (PDF) – April 8, 2020
- Info related to COVID-19 for the research community: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Our Recommendations for REBs Regarding COVID-19
- Clinical Trials BC’s Updates for Clinical Trials BC Regarding COVID-19.
- For BC AHSN’s COVID-19 Response Page, please click here.
COVID-19 Rapid Review Process:
A Rapid Ethical Review Process for Provincial Clinical Research Pertaining to COVID-19 has launched. This process has received agreement from all clinical Research Ethics Boards (REBs) in BC. Click the button below for more information:
We will do our best to ensure this list remains up to date as information becomes available.
Page last updated on December 8, 2020, 1:04pm